What Are the Warning Signs of Alcoholism?
A person under the influence of alcoholism or alcohol abuse is bound to show some early signs and symptoms. I remember having these symptoms when alcohol consumption was gradually turning into an addiction:
- Boosted confidence
- Loud speech
- Unhealthy and risky sexual behavior
- Indistinct speech
- Unstable walking or body movement
- Memory loss
- Bloodshot eyes
- Mood swings
- Nausea and vomiting
I remember the onset of symptoms during my indulging in prolonged drinking sessions…
- Failure to reduce alcohol intake: If you come across somebody who cannot control their alcohol consumption, remember that the person is soon on his way towards alcohol abuse. They drink more and longer than they intend and cannot stop even if they want to.
- Alcoholics exhibit an irresistible urge for drinking which has spun out of control. They will be seen frequently visiting the liquor store.
- Drinking early in the day: You will find those struck by alcohol abuse drinking early in the day. They drink whenever they feel like, be it morning or night.
- Drinking alone: These people do not need company or occasion to drink.
- Frequent hangovers: They will appear to be hung over for the majority part of the day. Drinking takes out a lot of energy and focus.
- Disinterest in hobbies and activities: Alcoholics lose interest from everything that requires physical movement, concentration, and dedication. Also, their health starts to deteriorate preventing them from engaging in any strenuous physical activity.
- Decreases performance in school or work: Alcohol greatly deters decision making and causes loss of efficiency. Alcoholics often appear tired and fatigued and hence reduce work quality. People end up losing their jobs or failing their classes.
- Challenges with Interpersonal Relationships: Alcoholics suffer from attachment issues and failed relationships. I personally started avoiding emotional intimacy or closeness, started distancing myself from my friends and family. Whatever money I had received from my parents, I spent it at the liquor store until I had none.
- Legal Trouble: A person under alcohol abuse can get involved in legal issues. In my case, I was often drinking and driving. That was reckless and could have caused major accidents. I could have landed into legal hassles or face jail time. That’s when it is important to pick a clue. An alcohol addict might also show frequent violent outbursts and get into fights with random people which can also cause him legal troubles.
- Financial Anguish: Alcoholics spend a considerable amount of their money on purchasing alcohol. Their drinking problem starts affecting their jobs, and they might run out of their jobs as well.
- Drinking to relax after every petite issue: If you reach out for a bottle for every small argument or disagreement you have, you are walking towards alcohol abuse.
It is not easy to detect when one has entered problem drinking from recreational drinking. The first step towards recovery is to realize that you have a drinking problem.